Google+





Wednesday, November 26, 2014

James Cameron Dishes On AVATAR Sequels: "They’re gonna be BITCHIN'!"


James Cameron has come out from his creativity cave to finally give the world some comments on his AVATAR sequels and he doesn't disappoint! What I love about his movies are that they go for broke and leave nothing on the table. It's in your face and authentic. So yes, you can expect to have your mind blown for each and every one of these sequels. 

Here's what he had to say:
“I can tell you one thing about them, they’re gonna be bitchin’. You will sh*t yourself with your mouth wide open.”

Not surprising words to describe his movies - he's earned the right to say them, jokingly or not. More importantly to me, he addressed a technical issue that has been on the top of my mind since I spoke with him after his high frame rate (HFR) demonstration in Vegas. Specifically, whether he was leaning more toward 60 fps or 48 fps. Here's his dish on that:

“My thinking at the time was that 60 (frames per second) might be a better segue to the video market. I’ll be plugging into a system that’s a little more mature, so it makes sense for me to do 48 frames at this point.”

We all know that Peter Jackson's HOBBIT franchise was all shot in native 3D (with those amazing 3ality Technica rigs) and at a HFR of 48 fps. Cameron is giving a nod to Jackson for getting the ball rolling on HFR and it appears as though Lightstorm Entertainment will follow this same path at 48 fps. Further, with Cameron's close friend's franchise finale THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES launching in mere weeks, Cameron also acknowledged that a MAJOR plot point in the original AVATAR originated from Jackson and/or Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens...

“When Neytiri is holding Jake and she’s just brought him back to consciousness, the ‘I see you’ line was suggested by them. It might have been Peter who said that.”

For me, that scene in the trailer where Neytiri holds Jake is the culmination of the entire movie. It was make or break time and the visual effects prevailed big-time. I can't tell you the emotional impact that scene had on me from a creative standpoint. It resonated with me deeply and it still affects my creative writing to this day. So yeah, huge contribution by Jackson and his team on that one, and good on Cameron to give that credit. Man, would I ever like to see a collaboration between Jackson and Cameron on a project - similar to what Jackson has done with Spielberg - but MORE. :-)

More on the AVATAR sequels when I get them.

Source: Empire

Contact Me

Jim Dorey
Editor-in-Chief
jim (at) marketsaw (dot) com

All contents Copyright © 2006-2021, MarketSaw Media. All Rights Reserved. All copyrights and trademarks on this website belong to their respective owners.