Google+





Monday, July 19, 2010

Why INCEPTION Should Have Been Made In Native 3D

*Minor Spoilers*

I don't know about you guys but I loved INCEPTION.
I saw it twice this weekend and may take it in again soon. It is hard to take it all in with only one or two screenings so a third screening is more than likely for me.

But it could have been even better. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. I think Christopher Nolan's achievement with the film is one of Hollywood's definitive moments in history. But in all seriousness he could have knocked this one out of the park with 3D.

How would INCEPTION be improved with 3D? The superb slow motion sequences, the zero gravity and 360 degree fight scenes, the various architect's environment manipulations, the chase scenes, the list goes on. 3D would have brought us into their dream states all that much more. It would have been spectacular to see the streets of Paris flip upside down in 3D and see that illusion of depth in the outdoor mirror scene.

What would have suffered or not existed at all in 3D? Parts of the movie just would not work in 3D, like the shaky cam scenes or the extremely fast cut fight sequences. Nolan could have still worked those bits in though using longer takes and less emphasis on shaky cam for realism and more on immersion. It would have worked.

Will Nolan work in 3D in the future? Yes. I don't think he has a choice - especially with his relationship with Warner Bros. who are embracing 3D wholeheartedly. It is the future of cinema.

Nolan's recent stance on 3D has been: "We did tests on 'Inception' with the different post-conversion processes, and they all went very well," Nolan told the crowd during a Q&A. "It's quite easy to do, in fact. But it takes a little time, and we didn't have time to do it to the standards that I would be happy with."

"There is no question if audiences want to watch films in stereoscopic imaging, that's what the studios will be doing, and that's what I'll be doing."

Michael Bay has no choice either.
That's why TRANSFORMERS 3 will be in 3D. It is happening now whether you planned on it or not. Audiences have spoken. Both Bay and Nolan prefer to work in 35mm but with 3D pushing harder and harder, combined with the backlash against 3D conversion (which 35mm mandates) you will see both of these men start to work with digital. I don't think they will settle for 3D conversion at this point though. As that technology improves they will adjust but for now I think they will want native 3D.

In the end, I am still very satisfied with the movie. I still shake my head at times in the movie, thinking "what if" but it is a thoroughly enjoyable movie.


Contact Me

Jim Dorey
Editor-in-Chief
jim (at) marketsaw (dot) com

All contents Copyright © 2006-2021, MarketSaw Media. All Rights Reserved. All copyrights and trademarks on this website belong to their respective owners.